Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Aussie veteran

met an Aussie who was in Beijing for a meeting. When he knew that I was from Singapore, he told me that his dad was an Aussie digger in an artillery unit stationed in Singapore during WW2. Their unit covered the north of Singapore. He knew about the guns in Sentosa and had visited Singapore and the Kranji War memorial several times with his dad. After the fall of Singapore, his dad was a POW in Changi for several months and was later sent to Thailand to build the death railway. His father had survived the toughest ordeal in Hellfire Pass. My Aussie friend was very glad to hear about the new museum at the old Ford Factory and promised to visit Singapore just to see that!

just like my feelings after watching "Band of Brothers", we owe our present freedoms and prosperity to the blood and suffering by the young men (at that time), whether British, Aussie, Kiwi, Indian, African and Americans.

Henry V's St Crispin's Day speech: "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: